Each year Government of Ireland awards postgraduate scholarship for scholars from any country. Scholarship is awarded for qualified Research Master’s and Doctoral candidates pursuing or intending to pursue full-time research in any discipline, based in an Irish HEI. The duration of funding depends on the type of degree being pursued and the date of first registration.
worldwide Scholarship Scheme by Government of Ireland 2015
Scholarship are offered in all subjects available in university.
Scholars must fulfill the following criteria:
- Scholars must be full-time students affiliated with an eligible HEI in Ireland.
- must not be a permanent member of staff in an HEI or in a non-Irish based research body or HEI.
- must have a first class or upper second-class honours primary degree, or the equivalent4. If examination results are not known at the time of application, the Council may make a provisional offer of a Scholarship on condition that the Scholar’s undergraduate degree result is a first class- or upper second-class honours, or the equivalent. Masters degree results may be considered to take precedence over the results of the primary degree. The Council decision on these matters is final;
- must not have applied more than once to the Scheme (including strategic partner themes within the Scheme). This includes applications since 2009 to the EMBARK scheme previously run by the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET), and the Government of Ireland Scholarship Scheme previously run by the Irish Council for Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS).
- be a new entrant to the degree for which they are to receive Council funding and have been formally accepted by the relevant department/school by, at the latest, 1st October 2015;
- fulfill the criteria in 4.4 if already registered and part of the degree has been completed.
- In the case of Research Masters Scholarships, not currently holding or having previously held a Council Postgraduate Scholarship;
- Doctoral Degree Scholarships, not currently holding or having previously held any Council Postgraduate Scholarship other than those which would enable them to obtain a Research Masters Degree.
- Scholars from any country may hold a Council Postgraduate Scholarship. However, Scholars must:
- maintain her/his principal residence in Ireland (as defined) during the period of the Scholarship;
- satisfy the State’s regulations on immigration and have the support of their HEI with respect to these regulations and requirements if not a national of a member state of the European Union (EU).
- The total value of the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship, Enterprise Partnership Scheme Postgraduate Scholarship and all strategic funding partner scholarships, will be up to a maximum of €24,000 in any approved year and will consist of the following:
- A maintenance award of €16,000 per annum within the Funding Term;
- Contribution to fees, including non-EU scholarship fees, paid to the HEI up to a maximum of €5,750. Any differential must be paid by the Scholar and/or HEI per annum. Scholars who hold a fee waiver from their HEI, or where no fee is required, or where fees are paid in full or in part by a third party, must inform the Council and the appropriate offices in their HEI and will not be eligible for the fee portion of the Scholarship. their HEI, or where no fee is required, or where fees are paid in full or in part by a third party, must inform the Council and the appropriate offices in their HEI and will not be eligible for the fee portion of the Scholarship.
- The maximum that can be spent in any year of the Scholarship is €24,000, plus any unspent balance of eligible direct research support expenses carried over from the previous year of the Scholarship. Apart from this exception, funds may not be carried forward from one year to the next.
- Research masters degree: 12 months
- Structured research masters degree: 24 months
- Traditional doctoral degree: 36 months
- Structured doctoral degree: 48 months
Application Deadline: 10 Feb 2015
Share this Scholarship for others