Scholarship Description: The Leiden University is pleased to offer Walraven Master Scholarships for international students. The scholarships are intended for students who have a bachelor’s degree in astronomy or physics and wish to obtain their master’s (MSc) degree in Astronomy and Instrumentation at Leiden University.
The aim of the scholarship is to enable and encourage talented students to reach international programs
About University: Leiden Observatory is the oldest university astronomy department in the world with a distinguished history. Leiden Observatory offers a wide range of Astronomy master’s specializations in which students actively participate in front-line research.
Degree Level: The scholarships are available to pursue the master degree.
Available Subject: The scholarships are awarded in Astronomy and Instrumentation.
Scholarship Benefits: The scholarship will cover the following:
- The Walraven scholarship is for one year, with conditional renewal for a second year upon successful completion of the first year. For a full scholarship, the tuition fee for the Astronomy Research master’s programme will be reduced to the amount of the home fee and you will receive an allowance of up to €11,000 per year for living costs. Partial scholarships may also be awarded. The Walraven scholarship is paid as a monthly allowance. If you stop your Astronomy master’s studies for whatever reason, the Walraven scholarship payments will be stopped directly.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be a student with a non-Dutch nationality
- You must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in astronomy or physics
- Your previous study results should be of outstanding academic merit
- You have no other financial support (e.g. scholarships, grants) for your master’s study
Application Procedure: Applicants can apply through the online processor.
- Apply for admission to the Astronomy and Instrumentation master’s programme through the online application system. Note that only applications that are completed before the deadline are guaranteed full consideration.
- Write a brief statement motivating why you satisfy the two conditions of a) outstanding academic merit and b) need for financial support. Make sure to include your full contact
Deadline: The application deadline is February 1 (for students planning to start in September).