Scholarship Description: The Kokugakuin University now wishes to invite applicants for its Visiting Research Fellowship. This an academic exchange program, people involved in research into Japanese culture and society are invited from overseas to engage in international academic exchange.
The aim of the fellowship to support qualified foreign researchers engaged in a field of study dealing broadly with Japanese culture and society.
About University: Kokugakuin University is a private university, whose main office is in Tokyo’s Shibuya district. The academic program and research of Shinto study, Japanese history, Japanese and Chinese literature and cultural study are highly evaluated in and out of Japan as well as the study of economics, jurisprudence and pedagogy.
Degree Level: Fellowship is available for researchers.
Available Subject: Fellowship is awarded to pursue research as a Visiting Fellow into Japanese culture and society.
Scholarship Benefits: A Visiting Fellow shall be provided with economy class round-trip airline passage from the Fellow’s home country to Tokyo. The route covered by the ticket shall be reasonable in terms of economy and availability.
Each Visiting Fellow shall be provided with a monthly stipend of JPY300,000 (fractions of full months fewer than twenty-five days shall be paid on a per diem basis (JPY10,000 per day). If a Visiting Fellow takes advantage of on-campus residence (single occupancy), the scholarship will be reduced to JPY210,000 (fractions of full months fewer than twenty-five days shall be paid on a per diem basis (JPY7,000 per day).
Eligible Nationalities: International students are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a Ph. D. degree (or equivalent) affiliated with universities or research intuitions located outside of Japan.
- Applicants shall submit the documents listed below by the application deadline. The application process shall not be completed until Kokugakuin acknowledges receipt of the documents.
- Applicants shall submit the required documents by registered mail, trackable courier service, or by PDF file attachment to an email.
- Deadline for submission of all documents is January 12, 2018, Japan standard time.
- The International Exchange Programs Office at Kokugakuin will send an acknowledgement within three days of receipt of documents. If the applicant does not receive an acknowledgement, he/she should contact the International Exchange Programs Office without delay.
- Applicants shall submit the following documents, completed in either Japanese or English. If documents are submitted in other languages, they must be accompanied by an accurate translation in Japanese or English.
- Application form (Form 1)
- Research proposal
- Recommendation letter from the head of the home institution/organization or equivalent.
- Recommendation letter from a researcher who can attest to the research abilities of the applicant.
- In the event the authors of letters 3) and 4) are the same person, the two letters may be combined in a single letter.
- Document certifying the status of the applicant as a student or employee of the home institution.
- Curriculum vitae, including the applicant’s academic record, career record, published research, membership in academic societies, and relevant social activity.
- Health certificate (issued by the home institution or other medical authority) certifying the applicant’s health is sufficient to conduct research during the period as a Visiting Fellow.)
- In some cases, Kokugakuin University may request the applicant for further information and/or documentation. The applicant may be rejected in the event any false statement or data is found in the submitted documents.
Deadline: January 12, 2018