Scholarships Description: Ministry of Finance, Government of Japan is offering Global Development Awards Competition to pursue research. Applicants from low and middle-income countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
The Awards Competition recognizes excellence in policy-oriented research, supports research capacity development of researchers in developing countries and funds innovative social development projects benefiting marginalized groups in the developing world.
The GDN Global Research Agenda is a central piece of GDN’s new strategy for three main reasons. First, the global research agenda plays the crucial role of providing the organization with a common intellectual ground on which to structure its capacity building activities as distinct parts of an articulated and cohesive whole. Second, prioritizing and fixing a global research agenda is a cost-effective way to harmonize programs, to articulate portfolio elements, and to secure the building up of a stock of knowledge in a predefined set of priority development themes across the developing world.
Degree Level: Awards are available to pursue research.
Available Subject: Research Proposals for the Award will be considered in following sub-themes:
- Skilling for Agriculture
- Skilling for Manufacturing
- Skilling for Digital Technologies
Scholarship Benefits: First Prize: US$ 30,000; Second Prize: US$ 10,000; Third Prize: US$ 5,000.
Eligibility Criteria: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
Category 1: Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development (ORD)
- Eligible countries for the ORD competition are those classified as low-income or middle-income countries.
- Open only to researchers who are nationals of an eligible country
- Open to citizens of eligible countries who are temporarily based in a non-eligible country but not for more than five years as of 16 July, 2017
- The upper age limit for all applicants is 45 years as of 16 July, 2017
- Staff members of multilateral and bilateral organizations are NOT eligible to apply
- Previous and current employees of GDN or its Regional Network Partners (RNPs) are NOT eligible to apply up till 5 years from the completion of their tenure. Previous GDN Board Members, project mentors and members of evaluation teams are NOT eligible to apply
- Similar proposals or papers resulting as products from full or partial GDN funded activities cannot be submitted for this competition
- Past ORD winners and finalists are not eligible to apply with the same or similar research proposal. Winners are not eligible to apply for a period of 3 years subsequent to their submission of a successful proposal
- Past and current AMC reviewers are not eligible to take part in the competition.
Category 2: Japanese Award for Most Innovative Development Project (MIDP)
- The MIDP Award is open to all development projects being implemented in low-income countries and lower-middle-income countries.
- The project must be managed by a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with its headquarters in one of the above eligible countries. The NGO must be non-profit.
- The project implementation must have started before 01June, 2016.
- Submissions concerning a recently started project or only a project idea or a feasibility or baseline study will not be considered.
- Submissions for funding conferences (either in part or in full) will not be considered.
- Applicants from previous years (except winners) may re-apply, but they must update the application to include new aspects of the project.
- Previous MIDP winners are not eligible to apply.
Nationality: Applicants from Low and Middle-income countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe are eligible to apply for this award.
Application Procedure: The mode of application is online.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is July 16, 2017.