Qatar University, in collaboration with Georgetown University and the University of Manchester, has been awarded a 3-year, $867,000 National Priorities Research Project (NPRP) grant by the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) to undertake a study on analyzing sentiment of Arabic chatter in social media.
Qatar University is based in Doha, Qatar, and the ideal candidate is expected to be based there. Qatar University is a leading research institution in the Middle East, with 10 interdisciplinary research centers, over 133 research collaborations with leading institutions across the world, and more than $220 million of internal and external grants received in the last few years.
For more on Qatar University, please visit http://www.qu.edu.qa/
For more on Doha, Qatar, please visit http://www.qatartourism.gov.qa/
For more information about the project, please visit https://goo.gl/6jjWra
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
The Post-Doc researcher will be expected to manage the project and contribute scientifically. Specifically, the researcher will:
– Help develop tools that analyze sentiment in Arabic chatter on twitter.
– Device new techniques for sentiment analysis by developing online apps.
– Help manage the project.
– Assist with the data collection exercise through programming.
– Collaborate in the production of academic papers that utilize the sentiment analysis tool developed to analyze big data.
– Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research.
– Liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
– Carry out administrative work.
- Ph.D. (or Ph.D. candidate) in Computer Science, MIS, or related fields.
- Fluent in English (fluent/native) and Arabic (native language).
- Strong programming skills (including C++, Java, Python).
- Desire to produce functioning end-to-end systems, applications.
- Scientific rigor.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Strong research skills with experience in: sentiment analysis, social media, machine learning (emphasis on syntactic and semantic feature engineering).
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Enjoy teamwork.
Salary and Benefits
Basic salary: $62,000 USD annually (including transportation allowance).
Housing allowance: $23,000 annually.
Annual economy air ticket allowance to the home country as per quotation from Qatar Airways for the employee, accompanying spouse and up to two children (under 18 years of age) “similar to QU HR policy for academic staff”
Annual paid vacation for 35 calendar days. Permission for vacation will be given in accordance with work needs in the research project.
Education allowance for one “accompanying” child from grade one up to 18 years of age. The entitlement is not exceeding $ 12,328 USD per year per child “similar to QU HR policy for academic staff”.
Health insurance for the employee accompanying spouse and up to two children (under 18 years of age) “similar to QU HR policy for academic staff”.
Up to 5% annual increment.
Dec 1, 2015
To apply, send your (i) cover letter, (ii) CV, (iii) two reference letters, and (iv) your job market paper or a draft of your current work to [email protected]
Application Deadline : 1 December 2015