National STEM Learning Center is offering free online course on Teaching Practical Science: Biology. The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of science subjects for 14-16 year old.
In this three week course, applicants will develop practical lessons to help 14-16 year old students understand biology with this CPD for science teachers. This course will start on November 27, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Teaching Practical Science: Biology
Institution: National STEM Learning Centre and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on November 27, 2017
The National STEM Learning Centre provides world-class professional development activities and resources to support the teaching of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects. The Centre is a purpose-built, state of the art facility based at the University of York backed by an unrivalled team of experts in the fields of education and STEM.
About This Course
There are only so many ways a student can look at an onion cell, so how do we engage students with biology practical’s? On this course you will discuss the relationship between theoretical concepts and practical work, and consider closely what is happening in your own classroom during biology practicals.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in biology for 14-16 year olds.
- Develop effective learning outcomes for practical work in biology.
- Reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities on every students’ learning.
- Design progression and assessment approaches within practical work in biology.
- Collaborate with peers, educators and mentors to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science.
The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of science subjects for 14-16 year old. Teachers of biology, early career teachers, returning teachers, non-specialist teachers, technicians and teaching assistants will gain from the peer learning and resources available on this course.
Learn from national CPD subject leaders, the experience of other teachers and access high quality supporting resources throughout this course.
I taught science for ten years and was Head of Science for three years, before becoming a subject specialist at the National STEM Learning Centre.
Gill Gunnill is a Professional Development Leader at the National STEM Learning Centre. I have been a biology teacher for 34 years with 10 years as Head of Science and 7 years as a senior leader.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).