The University of Michigan is offering free online course on Infrastructure Management for Public Libraries. Applicants will learn how these decisions are made to ensure long-term sustainability.
In this four-week course, applicants will learn how library managers and directors make key operational decisions regarding maintenance, insurance, technology, and more. This course will start on November 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Subject: Art & Culture
Institution: University of Michigan and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on November 28, 2017
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
About This Course
University will explore the ongoing infrastructure support that library leaders must facilitate, including:
- Contract services
- Patron privacy
Why Take This Course?
Students will learn how these decisions are made to ensure long-term sustainability.
- How to discuss, contract, and manage services from outside providers.
- How to make decisions about technology policies, irate for Internet services, etc.
- How to set up annual and long-term maintenance budgets and schedules.
- How to post a maintenance job for bid.
Josie Barnes Parker
Josie is an MLIS graduate of the UM School of Information and is currently Director of the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)