The Kyoto University is offering free online course on Ethics in Life Sciences and Healthcare: Exploring Bioethics through Manga. This course will help you understand key ethical issues surrounding crucial problems that profoundly impact your life from birth to death.
In this ten week course, applicants will learn about the ethical decisions surrounding critical health and life science issues vital to your life through Manga. This course will start on December 21, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Subject: Biology and natural sciences
Institution: Kyoto University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on December 21, 2017
Kyoto University is recognized as one of the most accomplished research-oriented universities in Asia. The validity of that reputation is testified by the accolades conferred on our alumni, most notably eight Nobel Prize laureates who undertook vital research during their time at the university.
About This Course
This course will help you understand key ethical issues surrounding crucial problems that profoundly impact your life from birth to death.
- Reproductive technology such as surrogacy and sex-selection of the baby
- Informed consent
- The use of medical technology for the purpose of enhancement
- Living Donor Organ Transplantation
- Cloning Technology
- ES Cells and iPS Cells
- Lifespan and Eternal Life
- Brain Death and Organ Transplants
Why Take This Course?
Students will also learn about ethical arguments and regulations in Japan and other countries concerning life sciences and healthcare. Our hope is, through this course, you will better understand and formulate your own opinions on these important issues.
- Basic terms for bioethics
- Basics of ethical arguments
- How decisions are made on critical bioethics issues
- Regulations and public policies related to bioethical issues in Japan and other countries
Satoshi Kodama is Associate Professor of Ethics at Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)