‘Elements of Renewable Energy’ is a free online course by the Open University available on FutureLearn.com. This course is intended for those with an interest in renewable energies, climate change and sustainable energy technology, and does not require any previous experience of studying the subject.
In this course, applicants will learn how sustainable energy from the Greek elements – Earth, Air, Fire and Water – can replace fossil fuels and nuclear power. The course will start on September 11, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Renewable Energy
Institution: Open University (OU) and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on September 11, 2017
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning.
About This Course
In recent decades there’s been increasing global concern about the sustainability of our use of fossil fuels and nuclear power, which has led to increased interest in more sustainable renewable energy sources.
These ‘renewables’ have been utilised for centuries, in water mills, windmills and wood stoves, but in recent years we’ve developed the technology to utilise these natural power sources on a much larger scale.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Explain some basic energy principles and terminology
- Apply the differences between primary, delivered and useful energy
- Describe the key role of solar energy as the source of most renewable sources
- Demonstrate the principles and technologies underlying key renewable energy technologies: solar thermal, wind and hydro power
- Discuss the contribution renewable energies could make to world energy needs
This course is intended for those with an interest in renewable energies, climate change and sustainable energy technology, and does not require any previous experience of studying the subject.
He is Emeritus Professor of Renewable Energy at The Open University and lead educator on the Elements of Renewable Energy course.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).