Israelx is offering free online course on Design Theory. This course is a pioneering exploration into theories of design theory.
In this six-week course, applicants will explore key concepts in the new field of design theory. Gain fundamental knowledge of what design is and its relation to culture, economics, and the arts. This course will start on November 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on November 28, 2017
Israelx is a national consortium of higher education institutions in Israel, led by the Council for Higher Education and the Ministry for Social Equality.
About This Course
The first of its kind, this course is a pioneering exploration into theories of design theory. Much of the way we interact as a society springs from design and is influenced by it. Design specialists around the world are continually redefining what design is and how it should be positioned within social, political and economic dynamics. In this course, you’ll gain a better understanding of the scope of design and the role it plays in our day to day life.
Why Take This Course?
The course invites curious parties, potential future designers, as well as those interested in adjacent domains, to engage with current discourses around design theory, as these are presented in design academic circles internationally. It offers students both an in-depth understanding of these issues and key analytical tools for further thinking.
- The definitions of design and related concepts in philosophy
- Aesthetic definitions of taste and judgment in relation to design
- Design aspects within socio-economic histories
- Design’s role in the production of social space, the politics of religion, state, race, gender and personal identity
- The development of contemporary design in relation to new industrial models of production and new communication technologies
- Views on the future of design in the context of post humanist theories
Dr. Lee Weinberg
Dr. Pablo Utin
Dr. Jonathan Ventura
Prof. Emanuel Gruengard
Dr. Michalle Gal
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edx account to signup
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- Edx offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and xseries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edx password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)