Norway PhD Scholarships in Economics at Norwegian Buisness School
BI Norwegian Business School (http://www.bi.no/doctoral) offers a four year Ph.D. programme in business and economics. The programme features six areas of specialisation: Finance, Economics, Strategic Management, Marketing, Leadership and Organization, and Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
The Department of Economics has a strong research oriented faculty within areas such as microeconomics and industrial economics, labour economics, petroleum economics,R&D and economic growth, business cycles and monetary policy, international macroeconomics and political economy.There are currently 35 faculty members, including 9 Professors, 15 Associate Professors and 2 Assistant Professors. The department hosts three research centres, Centre for Monetary Economics (CME), Centre for Research in Economics and Management (CREAM) and Centre for Applied Macro and Petroleum Economics (CAMP).
The doctoral programme is an important element of the department’s research agenda and of BI’s vision to become one of the leading research business schools in Europe. The selected candidates will be working closely with the faculty and will join a group of PhD candidates in the department. Their place of work will be at BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo.
Applicants should normally have completed a two year (120 ECTS) Master’s Degree with thesis work (preferably a Master of Science) by early autumn 2014 to be considered for a scholarship. The four-year scholarship is set according to the Norwegian State Salary Scale, and currently pays NOK 425 400,- per year. The position is linked to The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens Pensjonskasse). The scholarship involves 25% TA/RA responsibilities. If applicants are otherwise equally qualified, female applicants will be given preference.
The application must be submitted electronically only by using the “Send Application” button on the right hand side in this announcement. No e-mail applications or hard copy applications will be accepted.
You are required to upload the following electronically with your application:
- Certificate of a Master of Science degree or equivalent, please include transcripts of grades
- Certificate of a Bachelor degree or equivalent, please include transcripts of grades
- A Diploma Supplement or a similar document describing in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree (http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/rec_qual/recognition/diploma_en.html)
- Other relevant certificates and transcripts
- Test scores GMAT /GRE and TOEFL/IELTS (if these are not sent directly by the test centre)
- Signed verification document. Template to be found here:http://www.bi.edu/DoctoralFiles/Verification%20document%20to%20be%20filled%20out.doc
- A description of research interests (and potential research projects)
- A milestone plan outlining your planned course work and thesis work in accordance with the requirements of the department (https://at.bi.no/EN/programme-information/phd/course-plans/economics) Template to be found here:http://www.bi.edu/DoctoralFiles/milestoneplan.doc Letters of recommendations from relevant employers/tutors providing evidence of your skills as a researcher (a minimum of 2 letters)
- Certificates from previously completed courses at the doctoral level, if requesting approval of these for the Ph.D. programme at BI Norwegian Business School (see last section of § 3.1.1 in our Ph.D. Regulations)
- A complete list of all publications and/or other documented relevant research activities
Please note that all the above documents must be uploaded in the electronic application. Documents may not be submitted by e-mail or hard copy. Furthermore, note that any documents forwarded after the application deadline will not be considered. Exceptions will only be made for students who are completing their master’s degree in 2014 and do not have a final certificate when applying. Please note that you will not be able to revise your application once it has been submitted.
BI Norwegian Business School (Doctoral Administration) must receive the following from the test centre, or in the case of previously taken tests scanned and uploaded along with the application.;
GRE / GMAT
All applicants except those who hold a master degree from a Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish or Icelandic institution MUST take either the GMAT or the GRE.
We will need percentile scores and raw scores for the Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing sections of the GRE or GMAT to consider your application. Incomplete sections or partial scores are not sufficient to consider your application. Arrange to have official score reports sent directly to BI.
A “good score” is generally considered to be 85% and higher. However, there is no minimum cutoff score for the GRE/GMAT in order for your applicationto be reviewed.
TOEFL / IELTS
Students are required to have a good command of the English language. The following applicants will be considered to fit with this profile:
- Applicants whose native language is English
- Applicants with a qualifying master degree from a Nordic (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish or Icelandic) institution
- Applicants with a qualifying master degree where the language of tuition was English
All other applicants must take either TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum standard for test scores that BI accepts are:
- TOEFL – a total score of 575 points for the written test or 233 for the computer-based version or 90 points on the internet based test
- IELTS- a score of 6.5
TOEFL / IETLS scores must be from within the last two years.
The codes for BI Norwegian Business School are as follows:
For IELTS we accept copies as long as the TRF number is visible.
Kindly note that all documents (including GRE, GMAT, TOEFL and IELTS tests) need to have reached the Doctoral Administration by the deadline stated in this announcement in order to be considered.
Candidates may at a later stage be asked to forward further information and/or be called in for an interview. Candidates who are accepted for the programme must provide a more detailed progress plan with milestones and courses for the four years of study.
Information about the doctoral programme and admission requirements can be obtained from the doctoral administration at BI Norwegian Business School.
Application Deadline : 1 February 2014