Scholarship Description: The Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy of the Faculty of Science and Engineering is now accepting applications for PhD position for a talented and motivated national or international student. Candidates are invited to write and develop their own research project within the scope of the proposed topic given.
About University: The University of Groningen offers a wide variety of interesting, highly regarded degree programmes that rank well internationally. As our student, you will receive high-quality supervision and have many programmes to choose from. As an exceptionally motivated and talented student, you could join our Honours College for an extra challenge.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Available Subject: Research Topic: Due to successful public health measures and treatments, cardiovascular mortality has been greatly reduced in high-income countries. Clearly, patients with the established cardiovascular disease are at an increased risk for disease progression; however, patients differ in characteristics, (time to) disease progression or treatment response. During this PhD you will jointly use omics (genomics, and metabolomics) data and electronic healthcare record (EHR) data to 1) to classify patients at high risk for early cardiovascular disease progression, 2) identify markers for treatment response and 3) perform disease sub-phenotyping. Depending on the candidate’s preference further possibilities include the evaluating and/or development of big data analytics.
Scholarship Benefits: The PhD student will be enrolled in the PhD Scholarship Programme and receive a scholarship of € 2,027 per month (gross) from the University of Groningen for a period of 4 years.
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
Successful candidates will have completed a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in biostatistics, bioinformatics or epidemiology (with programming experience) or another field of science relevant to the position. They have a good command of English (oral and written), are enthusiastic and have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team, have a passion for science, are highly motivated to work in big data for precision medicine, possess excellent communication skills and an affinity for writing scientific papers and delivering presentations. In addition to these general qualifications this PhD requires experience (or willingness to learn) with:
• Unix, R, and Python
• a basic understanding of cardiovascular disease or general human health
• experience with EHR (ICD-10, ATC coding) or omics (plink, SNPTEST) is appreciated
• moderate understanding of the underpinnings of linear models.
Eligible Nationalities: National well as international students are eligible to apply for this position.
Application Procedure: Please upload your complete application in English as a single PDF-file until 20 November 23:59h / before 21 November 2017 Dutch local time. Please upload your entire application as “letter of motivation” by means of the application form.
The submission should contain the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation and qualifications to conduct scientific research, your expectations of the PhD programme and your choice for the particular project
- A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of your passport
- A certified copy or scan of your MSc diploma (or equivalent; provide a certified University letter stating when your graduation will be if between the application deadline and start of the project) and academic records
- Proof of sufficient competence in English
- Names and contact details of two academic references
- A research idea of 500 words. After the initial selection, only top candidates for each position will be invited to independently write a research proposal in the context of the indicated research direction as listed above. The proposal should focus on the central research question, the proposed method of approaching and answering this question, as well as the project planning.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is November 21, 2017.