The new Postdoctoral Fellowship: Japan-ASEAN Platform for Transdisciplinary Studies under its program “Japan-ASEAN Platform for Transdisciplinary Studies” at the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) at Kyoto University, Japan.
Under this six-year program funded by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), we aim to establish several sub-projects that are solution-oriented. By developing a “transdisciplinary platform”, we seek to generate a practical dialogue between academic and non-academic stakeholders for transformative research on the ASEAN region.
In order to support the growth of human society in the 21st century and tackle global urgent issues, disciplinary disciplines where different international and international human resources are gathered through Japan ASEAN Collaboration (Transdisciplinary) community, and we will work on fundamental research on life-based on the diversity of nature and society.
Degree Level: Fellowship is available to pursue Postdoctoral degree programme.
Available Subject: Fellowship is awarded under its program “Japan-ASEAN Platform for Transdisciplinary Studies.”We attend to a variety of issues, such as:
- Environmental degradation
- Natural resource governance
- Economic growth and distribution
- Ageing, health, and welfare
- Urbanization and depopulation
- Emerging infectious diseases
- Natural disasters
The root causes of these pressing issues must be understood and solutions must be sought beyond the confinement of nationalism, academic disciplinarity, and barriers separating academic and non-academic stakeholders.
Scholarship Award: In addition to a monthly salary of approximately JPY 350,000, which is subjected to taxation, social insurance and other deductions in accordance with Japanese law, the fellow will be entitled in our health and social insurance system. Shared working space and access to office facilities and library resources at Kyoto University will be also provided.
Nationality: Fellowship is available for students from all around the world.
Number of Scholarships: One postdoctoral fellowship will be offered.
Eligible Countries: Fellowship is available for students from all around the world.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
We encourage applications from researchers with a Ph.D. or proof of a solid research and publication track record in area studies, sociocultural anthropology, geography, sociology, economics, politics, political economy, political ecology, forestry, biology, medicine, ecology, hydrology, climate science, fisheries science, environmental science, disaster science, natural resources, governance or related disciplines. The applicant must not be the recipient of a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship or similar programs at the time of employment. While the application is open to candidates from all regions of the world, preference will be given to applicants from Southeast Asia or who have Southeast Asian heritage. Additionally, we have a preference for candidates who work in maritime/insular Southeast Asia.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure: Online Application form:
- 1) Curriculum Vitae (must include information on language skills, both oral and written; list of presentations at international academic conferences and seminars; fieldwork experiences; list of grants and awards; and the complete list of publications, indicating which ones are refereed)
- 2) Two recommendation letters*
- 3) Samples of major publications (two samples with abstracts; electronic copies or photocopies are acceptable)
- 4) Summary of scholarly activities and achievements (1200 words or less)
- 5) Statement of your research, writing, and publication goals for this fellowship, and your contribution to the research theme or topic(s) outlined by the research cluster that you wish to be a part of (1200 words)
*The recommendation letter can be directly sent from the referee via postdoc-at-cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp by email attachment.
Deadline: August 31, 2018