The Institute for Culture and History currently has a vacant PhD position (full-time, four years) as part of the NWO project Religion Renegotiated: Faith-Based Organizations and the State in the Netherlands since the 1960s – Public Policy, supervised by Prof. dr. James Kennedy, conducted in close collaboration with Mr. dr. Hans-Martien ten Napel at Leiden University. Applications are now invited from excellent candidates who wish to conduct research on the changing relationship of church-state relations in the Netherlands since the 1960s and situate it in a broader transnational context.
This researcher will investigate Dutch policy regarding religious pluralism, focusing on the field of legislative change since the 1960s. The relationship between government and faith-based organizations is the central point of interest. The researcher will focus on debates within the legislative branch and the development of policy in government agencies, including a limited selection of case studies at the local level.
Tasks will include:
- completion and defence of a PhD thesis within four years;
- regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences, and publications in proceedings and journals;
- close collaboration with the other researchers of the group (including on issues not directly connected to one’s own PhD project, incl. the organization of conferences and joint publications);
- assisting in teaching activities;
- participation in the training program of the Graduate School for Humanities;
- a Master's degree (or equivalent) with excellent grades in a relevant field, such as history, religious studies, law or the social sciences;
- good academic writing and presentation skills;
- good social and organizational skills;
- proficiency in Dutch and English.
For further information about this position, please contact the project leader:
Prof. dr. James Kennedy
T: +31 (0)20 525 3155
The PhD candidate will be appointed full-time for a period of four years at the Faculty of Humanities. A first contract will be given for 12 months, with an extension for the remaining period on the basis of a positive evaluation.
The preferred starting date of the contract is 1 December 2013.
The gross monthly salary (on full-time basis) for the position will be €2,083 during the first year (gross per month) and will reach € 2,664 during the fourth year, in accordance with the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch universities.
Applications for the PhD position should include:
- a letter of motivation, stating why you want to do this research;
- your ideas about possible focus points of your PhD project (1,000 words long);
- an up-to-date CV;
- a list of grades obtained for your Bachelor and Master (or equivalent) programmes;
- names and contact details of two academic referees;
- a writing sample, e.g. a published paper, your MA thesis, or similar.
Applications may only be submitted electronically by clicking the Apply now-button below or by sending your application to solliciteren2013-FGW(at)uva.nl. Please quote the vacancy number
in the subject line. Completed applications should be submitted by 23.59 hours (CET) on 27 September 2013. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Application Deadline : 27 September 2013