The University of Leicester are investing £9m in 100 PhD Scholarships for entry in autumn 2022 as part of its ambition to deliver on its strategic aim to ‘nurture the next generation of researchers to become world-leaders in their field’. 25 scholarships will be distributed through the Leicester Research Institutes.
Below you will find a list of project proposals from our Research Institutes. Please be aware that not all of the proposed projects will be funded; however, it is possible to apply for up to two projects.
UK and International* applicants are welcome to apply.
To be classed as UK applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
- Have EU settled status, or
- Have EU pre-settled status (meeting 3 years residency requirement) or,
- Have indefinite leave to remain or enter
If you are unsure if you are eligible for UK fees please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can make an assessment for you.
- Applicants who do not meet the criteria for UK fees will be classed as an international student.
- International students will need to be able to fund the difference between UK and International fees for the duration of study. See the funding section for more details
Studentships provide funding for 3.5 years to include:
- Tuition fees at UK rate
- Stipend at UKRI rates (currently £15,609. 2022 rates to be confirmed)
- Access to a Research Training Support Grant of up to £1,500 pa for 3 years.
International applicants applying for projects listed on this page will need to be able to fund the difference between UK and International fees for the duration of study.
Full international fees will vary depending on the project
- UK fees are yet to be confirmed, but are likely to be between £4600 and £4700 per year
- International Fees for projects based in Life Sciences and Science and Engineering will be £21,000 per year. International students would need to be able to pay fees of approximately £16,500 per year of study. Exact fee will be advised at the point of offer.
- International Fees for projects based in Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities will be £15,600 per year. International students would need to be able to pay fees of approximately £11,00 per year of study. Exact fee will be advised at the point of offer.
Applicants are required to hold/or expect to obtain a UK Bachelor Degree 2:1 or better in a relevant subject or overseas equivalent.
The University of Leicester English language requirements may apply.
How to apply
To apply, please use the Apply button at the bottom of the page for projects listed on this page and follow the prompts to create your application.
With your application, please include:
- Personal statement explaining, briefly, your interest in the project and your relevant experience ( If you apply for two projects include a statement for each project on the same document)
- Degree Certificates and Transcripts of study already completed and if possible transcript to date of study currently being undertaken
- Evidence of English language proficiency, if applicable
- In the reference section please enter the contact details of your two academic referees in the boxes provided or upload letters of reference if already available.
You can apply for a maximum of 2 projects.
For each project you want to be considered for:
- In the Supervisor Section: Enter the Project Supervisor for each project you want to be considered for
- In the Project Title Section: Enter the Project Reference and Project Title for each project in order of priority (e.g. Project 1, Project 2)
(the Project Reference is on the project listing above and on the project description document)
In the Funding Section: Enter Future 100 Scholarship or select Future 100 Scholarship from the drop down menu