Scholarship Description: The new ESC Basic Research Fellowship is now available to basic scientists as well as clinical scientists. This fellowship is open to candidates of all nationalities.
The ESC Basic Research Fellowship is designed to allow a researcher to spend one year in a European research laboratory.
Scholarship Provider: The European Society of Cardiology (ESC) is an independent, non-profit organisation. Our members and decision-makers are busy healthcare professionals who volunteer their time and expertise. The ESC represents more than 95,000 men and women in the field of cardiology from Europe, the Mediterranean basin and far beyond.
Degree Level: Fellowship is available to pursue research.
Available Subject: It is open to basic scientists as well as clinical scientists and preferentially seeks to award support for preclinical research projects.
- 1 Fellowship of 25,000 Euros is awarded per the calendar year
- Candidates accept to be interviewed via Skype
- Awardees accept to present their work related to the fellowship at the next basic science meeting “Frontiers in CardioVascular Biology”.
Number of Scholarships: One fellowship per year of 25,000 Euros will be awarded to the successful candidate.
Eligible Nationalities: This fellowship is open to candidates of all nationalities.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible, the current laboratory of the applicant must be different from the host laboratory and it is unlikely that candidates planning to return to a laboratory where they have spent time previously will be successful, except in exceptional cases. Preference will be given to those for whom the award will enable the fellow to learn novel techniques valuable for their future career.
NB: the ESC research Grant scheme is only open to medical graduates.
This fellowship is open to candidates of all nationalities.
Candidates should move to a host laboratory different from their current laboratory
- Candidates should not be older than 35 years at the time of the application deadline
- Candidates must have activity in the area of cardiovascular sciences
- Candidates agree to apply for free membership of one of the following ESC Working groups:
- Atherosclerosis & Vascular Biology
- Cardiac Cellular Electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy
- Cellular Biology of the Heart
- Coronary Pathophysiology & Microcirculation
- Development, Anatomy & Pathology
- Myocardial Function
- Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases
Application Procedure: You must also send the documents with original signatures (no copy), by post, to this address before 1 December 2018 by post.
The pdf application file you will attach to your online application form should consist of a bio-sketch of:
- Your letter [maximum 2 (two) pages] of motivation including:
- your birth date
- your membership of any of the groups stated in “Criteria for eligibility”
- information on your activity in the area of cardiovascular sciences
- details of your project
- a statement on how you intend to use the award (budget forecast)
- a statement that, if you do not use the grant within 9 months, you will return it to the ESC.
- A one-page CV with a publication list
- A letter of acceptance by the host institution
- A letter of support from your current institution
- A written commitment to present your work related to the fellowship at the next scientific meeting “Frontiers in CardioVascular Biology”.
Deadline: December 1, 2018