Scholarship Description: The University of Roehampton is offering 3-year PhD Studentships at the Department of Psychology. The department will fund two new studentships at Home/EU fee rate, with a stipend (currently £15, 553).
About University: The University of Roehampton, formerly Roehampton Institute of Higher Education, is a public university in the United Kingdom, situated on three major sites in Roehampton, south-west London.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Degree Level: Studentship is available for pursuing PhD programme at the Department of Psychology
Available Subject: Of the three projects listed, the projects attracting the best two applicants will be awarded a PhD award starting in January 2018. Successful applicants will engage in PhD study full-time and integrate into the life of the Department of Psychology, working with academic colleagues and undergraduate students.
- Female Genital Mutilation: Psychological impact, health and social services utilization, and intervention.
- A neuropsychological study of the role of cognitive load and working memory capacity in distraction suppression.
- The impact of interpersonal regulatory fit between people in distress and potential helpers on empathy, prosocial behaviour and perceived support.
Scholarship Benefits: The Bursary includes a tuition waiver for PhD at UK/EU fees and stipend at £16,553 (rates as at 2017/18). International students must meet the difference between Home and OS fees.
Number of Scholarship: There are two studentships available.
Eligibility: The Applicant should meet the eligibility requirements below and have a Master’s degree (or equivalent, such as substantive experience as a Research Assistant) in Psychology. The Applicant should further demonstrate excellent statistical, critical thinking, and writing skills. In addition, the Applicant should be motivated to pursue a career in research and be able to work independently and to deadlines. Willingness to collaborate on bids to ensure additional funding to run studies is appreciated.
Eligible Nationalities: Funding is available for UK/EU and International students.
Application Procedure: To apply, please email the following to pgresearch-at-roehampton.ac.ukwith RPS Psychology Studentship AND the first three words of the project title in the subject heading.
- A copy of CV including copies of your academic qualifications.
- A cover letter stating the reasons you are applying for this studentship and outlining your expertise and relevant skills. Please also address in two paragraphs maximum why you are interested in this specific research project and which research methods you would use to conduct the research.
- A completed Application Form for PhD Study (RDB1) downloadable at http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Courses/Graduate-School/Application-Packs/.
- Note that references are to be submitted by your referees separately to this email address, by the deadline.
Deadline: The application deadline is November 3, 2017.