Deadline for applications: March 31, 2021
Until 31st March 2021 applications for the 12th intake of the Master’s Program “International Media Studies” (starting in September 2021) are being accepted.
The IMS is conducted in English and combines the disciplines of digital media and development, communication science and media management. The full-time, four-semester program offers an unparalleled mix of research, lectures and practical experience and prepares students for careers in the communications and media industries.
Online applications are now being accepted.
For the Master’s Program, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field and advanced skills in English.
For the International Media Studies program, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field acquired after the completion of their first degree.
The Master’s Program is held in English and students will have to provide proof of good verbal and written language skills in English. This is usually given in form of a language test completed in their country of origin from a recognized institution. This does not apply for applicants’ native languages.
You will find a list of all accepted English language tests and required levels as well as other relevant information for download in our FAQ section.
Online Application Process
The next intake is expected to start in the fall semester of September 2021. You can apply from the beginning of December 2020 until 31st March 2021. Only applications through our online system will be accepted.
Prospective students must apply through an online-application form. Please read the information below before visiting the application link.
Before entering your data in the online-application form, please make sure you have all documents required for application ready:
- Letter of motivation (max. 700 words; font “Arial”, size 10.; spacing 1,5; signed and dated)
- Current Curriculum Vitae (Europass format, signed and dated)
- Certificate of your first academic degree(s) (including ALL transcripts)
- Proof of at least one year’s professional experience in a media-related field AFTER obtaining your first academic degree (for a scholarship you must provide proof of at least two years of professional experience)
- Certificate of APS (for applicants who completed their first degree in China or Vietnam)
- Proof of sufficient English language skills (C1-Level or higher in accordance with the “Common European Framework”)
If you are applying for a scholarship, you will be required to submit these additional documents:
- Recent recommendation letter from a university (with letterhead, official university stamp, signature and date)
- Recent recommendation letter from your employer (with letterhead, official company stamp, signature and date)
- DAAD application form
- High school diploma
English language skills: Please be aware that you will need to provide proof of sufficient language skills. If English is your native language, or you have completed your entire program of study in English, you will not need to provide proof.
Please note: Documents not originally issued in English or German must also be accompanied by an official, certified translation.
Please do not send us original documents unless we ask you to do so. If you are accepted into the program we will later ask you to submit the original, certified documents or official, certified copies to our cooperation partner, the Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences.
For the, you will need to perfom the following steps:
- Please click on the link to the online application site.
- Then click on the link “International Media Studies”.
- Now enter your personal data in the designated fields. Please note that fields marked with “*” are mandatory and information must be provided. Where fields are marked with ” ? “, instructions or additional information will be supplied. On the left-hand side you will find a navigation bar to help you navigate the site. You are required to enter your data in the default order. Should you have failed to fill in one of the mandatory fields, you will not be able to access the next column. A mandatory field where no data have been entered will be marked red.
- In the column “Letter of Motivation” you will be able to explain your motivation and reasons for wanting to take part in the Master’s Program International Media Studies. Alternatively, you may upload your statement of purpose as a PDF file in the column “Checklist”. If you would like to apply for a scholarship please mention this in your statement of purpose.
- When you have completed the data entry process the column “Checklist” will appear asking you to upload the required application documents.
- When all columns have been completed and you have uploaded all required documents you will be able to send your application.
- After sending your application you will receive your personal user name and password. Please make a note of this information – you will need it for tracking the status of your application.
- Once you have sent your application you will not be able to make any amendments or additions. You will only be able to upload missing documents.
After the application deadline has expired, a committee of representatives of the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg, the University of Bonn, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Deutsche Welle will decide on the award of places.
Should we approve your application (you will be informed by email), you will be required to send certified copies of your original application documents to our cooperation partner, the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg, as soon as possible. Please note that all copies of documents you submit must be officially certified for authenticity with the originals. If your documents have not been issued in either German or English, you will also need to submit officially certified translations into either English or German.
If you have completed the TOEFL as proof of sufficient English language skills, please have ETS (Educational Testing Service) send your certificate directly to us. You will need to inform them of our institute number: 7977. Only after verifying your original application documents will we be able to confirm that you have been accepted into the program. You will then receive additional information on this process at the given time.
Source / More information: Official Website.